Pages

Friday, May 20, 2011

The Culture

My Husband and I have been married for almost a year. This June will be our one year. Although I am fairly young, our family members have been pressuring us to have kids. We DO plan on having kids eventually but just not now. In our culture, people automatically assume that a woman or couple can't conceive when a couple decides to wait or have been married for a couple of years AND decides not to have a child or children yet. That, I totally am annoyed with. I just plan to get my education out of the way before we start planning for kids. Older Hmong women always say "Have kids now or when you get older, you won't be able to!"

One day, I asked my husband, "What if I am not able to have kids for you in the future? What will you do?" (Because some men tend to leave their wife because she can't have a child for him.) He replied, "We'll just adopt!"



One of my Husband's drawings.
He's a free-lance artist and occasionally sell his portraits.


Oh the struggle of being a Hmong daughter-in-law. Everyone wants you to produce an offspring for your husband.....

2 comments:

  1. This is a cool fact about you. I didn't know you're Hmong. But I agree with you, it's better to get education out of the way before starting a family. Children are a handful.

    And what an amazing art work by your husband. Does he have his own website?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So agree, although I'm not marry, the same pressure goes for too old for marriage. I'm an old hag... everyone my age is married and having kids except me.

    MNT

    ReplyDelete